When the Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem were driven from the Holy Land by the Muslims, they eventually emigrated to the island of Rhodes in the Mediterranean in the early 14th century. There they found, on Mount Phileremos, a chapel dedicated to Mary under the title of Our Lady of Phileremos. Within the chapel was an ancient icon said to have painted by St. Luke the Evangelist. The founder of the chapel had been a rich man, who climbed up the hill to a place where the ancient Phoenicians had built a temple to one of their solar divinities, which lay in ruins. For reasons unknown to us, he climbed the hill to commit suicide. There, on this hill he was ready to kill himself when "a Lady, all bathed in white light," appeared to him; and by the gentleness of her smile and the imparting of heavenly grace, the man had a complete change of heart. Converted and repentant, he chose to live on the spot where Our Lady appeared to him. And here it was that he built a chapel in her honor and enthroned in a place of veneration the icon of Our Lady that he had brought from Jerusalem.
Veneration of the icon spread quickly over the island and the population used to visit it piously. Its fame as a wonder-working image became well known all over the Aegean. As soon as the Knights arrived, they became very devoted to Our Lady of Phileremos, whose name became their war cry. They built a large monastery next to the chapel and two new chapels were added to the sanctuary by Grand Master, Pierre D’Aubusson after the siege of 1480, in thanksgiving to Our Lady of Phileremos from preserving them from the Muslim attackers. When, at length, they were finally forced off the island by the Muslims, they took their "most precious possession" with them. When the departing fleet got under way, with only a few surviving Knights aboard, no standard was hung, except one banner on the ship of the Grand Master, the banner of Our Lady of Phileremos, with these simple words: "In my misfortune, you are my hope."
Visionary: St. Abraham de Gorodetsk (Russian hermit)
The Virgin appeared and demanded that he construct a hermitage in a desert place.
Source: Dictionary of the Apparitions of the Virgin Mary p. 59 (Maria, t. III, 701)
September 7, 1300
Visionaries: two shepherdesses
The Virgin Mary appears to two shepherdesses and heals one of them, dumb from birth, and leaves in an olive tree a painting of the Virgin and Child, in the Byzantine style. The icon was solemnly carried in the parish church where it remained until a chapel was built in the place of the apparition. There were many healings and miracles. One of these, which manifests itself even today, is that the olive trees that surround the sanctuary every year bloom out of season. Another miracle that increases the fame of the sanctuary took place August 30, 1823. Some local workers had to drink to quench their thirst under the hot sun, but the drink did not decrease despite continued drinking. On September 7th,1901, the local bishop solemnly crowned the miraculous icon.
Visionary: Simone Adami, a blind beggar
The blind Simone Adami, sleeping near a spring, had heard these words of the Virgin Mary in a dream: "Wash in the fount and see." He woke up, washed and was able to see. Later, in the nearby grove, located between the walls of an ancient Byzantine chapel that she wanted to see rebuilt. He found a picture of the Madonna resembling that seen in the dream.The building was built, then later destroyed by earthquake.
Sources: Dictionary of the Apparitions of the Virgin Mary; Gamba 199, 387. www.latheotolos.it
Visionary: St. Agnes of Montepulciano (1268-1317) Dominican
Agnes of Montepulciano received many graces from childhood mystical experiences. At nine, she entered the convent near Montepulciano, under the rule of St. Augustine. Just fifteen years old, she became abbess with papal dispensation. Often received the blessing of many divine visions and appearances, among them in particular that of the Blessed Virgin Mary. One day she begged and Mary Agnes saw her "give three small stones and asked to build a church in her honor.". In 1306, the Virgin "asks to return to her hometown to found a convent " Indeed, in this place, Agnes founded a religious community, with the formula of Dominican life and until her death remained at the head of the monastery as a priority. She was distinguished by the depth of mystical contemplation. Agnes was canonized in 1726 and his relics are venerated in Orvieto.
Source: Année diminicaine, April, X, Lyon, 1889, 519-546. S. Barnay, Le Ciel sur la terre, 1999, 112; R. di Capua, De S. Agnete virgine, ord. S. Dominici Monte-Politiani in Hetrurua, AASS, April t. II, 789-815; Sr. marie-Ancilla "Agnes de Montepulciano". DMEC, 2002, 14-15.
Title: Our Lady of Sichem (Palestine) / Our Lady of Montaigu (Belgium) Feast Day: January 3rd
The shrine in Brabant in the duchy of Louvain, is a replacement of the one below Mount Garizim, Israel. Hadrian restored the temple on Mount Garizim and dedicated it to Jupiter. A small Christian community settled there; and on several occasions they suffered greatly at the hands of the Samaritians. In 474 the emperor, to avenge an unjust attack on the sect, gave Mount Garizim to the Christians, who built on it a church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. After the Mohammedan conquest, Christianity practically disappeared from the district. The French made amends by erecting a shrine to Mary in the duchy of Louvain. The ancient statue of Our Lady of Sichem, or as Our Lady of 'Montaigu', which is the title more commonly used today, has been venerated in Belgium from very early times. The Mother of God rewarded the faithful magnanimously for their pious attention. According to legend, a shepherd boy originally found the statue of Our Lady after it had apparently fallen from a niche cut in an old oak tree. The statue was mysteriously too heavy for him to lift alone, so he ran to find his master, and have him return to help him replace the statue in its place in the old oak.
It is said that in 1306 the Blessed Virgin Mary moved the hearts of the people by causing four drops of blood to flow from the eyes of the statue dedicated to her. This revived the faith of the people and increased their fervor. A small chapel was built beneath the tree, which was rebuilt in 1602, and the dedication of Our Lady of Sichem took place in the year 1604 by the Archbishop of Mechlin, Mathias Hovius. From that time forward there were many miracles as Our Lady seemed to demonstrate her appreciation by granting many favors. The statue was soon venerated as miraculous, and there have been many pilgrimages to the site during the centuries, continuing even until this day.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna of Rescue stands isolated on the high plain between Monte Ercole and the town of Sant'Agata in central Italy, about 25 miles from the Adriatic Sea. Local tradition holds that an earlier chapel there marked the place where the Virgin helped defeat an invading army. Perhaps the simple Romanesque style of the present church, built around 1520, reflects that of the former chapel. At that time, devotion to the Madonna del Soccorso had spread from Sicily throughout Italy. The Sanctuary's altarpiece depicts a story that took place in Palermo in 1306, although local tradition has moved the apparition to a site near this chapel. A young mother, impatient with her child, cries, "To the devil with you!" A demon appears and threatens the boy, but a radiant woman saves him. The mother and child give thanks in church, where they recognize the radiant woman in a fresco of the Madonna. The original painting was stolen in the 1970s; the present image is a copy commissioned from local artist Alpico Prosperi. Another miracle story, unique to Sant'Agata, involved a woman who invoked the Madonna del Soccorso when her jealous lover shot her in the breast. The unharmed woman's velvet corset with the bullet hole is on display in the chapel. The shrine became a regional place of pilgrimage, especially by fishermen thankful for Our Lady's help at sea. Her annual festa on the Sunday before Assumption Day now includes a Blessing of Automobiles.
"Agosto," Comunità Montana Alta Valmarecchia, www.cm-novafeltria.ps.it/index.php?id=10749
"madonna del soccorso san biagio ravenna," Facebook, www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117812383518
Paolo Venturi, "Giro Marche 2008 - Pennabilli/Bertinoro, Flickr - Photo Sharing!, www.flickr.com/photos/paolo_venturi/2797410860/ (picture)
Sant'Agata Feltria, www.santagatafeltria.info/html/5chiese_e_conventi.htm
St. Clare of Montefalco followed the rule of St. Augustine and was elected Mother Superior at age 20. Her sister Blessed Jeanne (+ 1291) held the office of abbess. Already six years with her sister, Clare entered the convent at that time was not yet Augustinian. Shortly before her departure, but the Heavenly Father appeared with His arms outstretched to show them that she was ready to be accepted into the communion of saints. An apparition of Holy Mary was preceeded by the Angels. During the last ecstasy before her death, Clare joined the Saints exclaiming: "Behold the Virgin Mary, here is St. Augustine, here is Saint Francis."
St. Clare was canonized in 1881, although the process had been started since 1308, some months after her death. Her heart and her body have remained incorrupt.
Finstad, Uppsala Vadsteda (Sweden)
Visionary: St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373)
Mary appeared to St. Bridget of Sweden , when she was only six years and accompanied her the rest of her life with many apparitions and revelations. The saint in 1316 married the noble lawyer Ulf Guidmarsson and had eight children with him, including the future St. Catherine of Sweden. For her religious devotion and her charity, Bridget soon became highly esteemed. After a journey of pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (Spain), her husband retired to a Cistercian monastery and died there a year later (1344). This meant a turning point in the life of Bridget: She settled in and received revelations from Jesus Christ and the Holy Virgin Mary there. During this period of contemplation, Bridget became a mystical bride of Christ.
Through a revelation, she was ordered to found a new religious order. In fact in 1346, through the work of Bridget, the monastery of the Brigidine Order. After a period of strict penance and prayer, she went to Rome in 1349 to obtain the approval of the Order religious and attend the jubilee proclaimed in 1350. She stayed for the remaining twenty-three years of her life in Italy. In 1370, the pope gave Bridget ot approval to establish the monastic order of the Holy.Savior, which later became (1379) the Order of Saint Bridget (Brigidine), with monks and nuns. In 1372/73, she undertook a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
The saint is considered among the greatest and the most mystical of medieval women, and was canonized by Pope Boniface IX in 1391. Among the many writings that Bridget has left us, her greatest is a praise of the virtue and the life of the Virgin Mary.
April 28, 1310
Title: Madonna del Castagno (Madonna of the Chestnuts)
Visionary: A peasant
Source: Mary. p 715. Degl'Innocenti and Marinone.
Visionary: St. Alexis Falconieri (1200 -1310)
Born in Florence, 1200; died 17 February, 1310, at Mount Senario, near Florence. He was the son of Bernard Falconieri, a merchant prince of Florence, and one of the leaders of the Republic. His family belonged to the Guelph party, and opposed the Imperialists whenever they could consistently with their political principles. Alexis grew up in the practice of the most profound humility. He joined the Laudesi, a pious confraternity of the Blessed Virgin, and there met the six future companions of his life of sanctity. He was favoured with an apparition of the Mother of God, 15 August, 1233, as were these companions. The seven soon afterwards founded the Order of the Servites. With consistent loyalty and heroism Alexis at one abandoned all, and retired to La Camarzia, a house on the outskirts of the town, and the following year to Mt. Senario. With characteristic humility, he traversed, as a mendicant, in quest of alms for his brethren, the streets of the city through which he had lately moved as a prominent citizen. So deep and sincere was him humility that, though he lived to the great age of hundred and ten years, he always refused to enter the priesthood, of which he deemed himself unworthy. The duties of our Saint were confined principally to the material needs of the various communities in which he lived. In 1252 the new church at Cafaggio, on the outskirts of Florence, was completed under his care, with the financial assistance of Chiarissimo Falconieri. The miraculous image of the Annunciation, still highly venerated in Italy, had its origin here. St. Juliana Falconieri, his niece, was trained in sanctity under his personal direction. The influence exerted on his countrymen by Alexis and his companions may be gathered from the fact that in a few years ten thousand persons had enrolled themselves under the banner of the Blessed Virgin in the Servite Order. At his death he was visited by the Infant Jesus in visible form, as was attested by eye-witnesses. His body rests near the church of the Annunciation, in Florence. Clement XI declared Alexis worthy of the veneration of the faithful, 1 December, 1717, and accorded the same honour to his six companions, 3 July 1725.
Visionary: Blessed Jordan of Pisa
He replaced Latin worked to make Italian the beautiful tongue preaching as an apostolic tool first to make a scientific study of it, OP (AC)
Born in Pisa, Italy; (cultus approved in 1833), beatified in 1838. At a time when scholars believed that no colloquial tongue could ever replace Latin as a gentleman's language, Jordan worked to make Italian the beautiful tongue that it is today. That's not the reason he was beatified by the Church but it's interesting and sometimes overlooked.
Jordan attended the University of Paris where he first encountered the Dominican friars in 1276. Four years later, probably after obtaining his degrees, he returned to Italy and took the habit. He began a long teaching career there as soon as he was qualified to do so.
Because of the excellence of his preaching in Florence, Jordan was appointed first lector there in 1305. He seems to have been fascinated with the whole question of preaching as an apostolic tool, and to have been one of the first to make a scientific study of it. He pointed out that the Greek church was "invaded by a multitude of errors," because the Greeks had no preachers; he could never say enough in praise of Saint Dominic's farsightedness in establishing an order specifically for preaching.
Jordan studied methods of making sermons more effective, both by using examples that would reach the people, and by the use of the vernacular. This latter was a much-disputed subject in his day (they had Dan Amon's then, too); Jordan was considered a daring innovator. Because it was controversial, he strove to make Italian a beautiful instrument on which he could play the melodies of the Lord.
Blessed with an extraordinary memory, Jordan is supposed to have known the breviary by heart, as well as the missal, most of the Bible (with its marginal commentary), plus the second part of the Summa. This faculty of memory he used in his sermons, but he was quick to point out to young preachers that learning alone can never make a preacher. By the holiness of his own life he made this plain, and continually preached it to those he was training to preach.
Jordan of Pisa had two great devotions--to Our Blessed Mother and to Saint Dominic. Once he was favored with a vision of Our Lady; she came into the fathers' refectory and served at table. Jordan, who was the only one who could see her, could barely eat for excitement. He spoke often of her in his sermons, and also of Saint Dominic. He founded a number of confraternities in Pisa, one of which has lasted until now.
Jordan died on his way to Paris to teach at Saint Jacques. His body was returned from Piacenza, where death overtook him, to rest in the church at Pisa (Benedictines, Dorcy).
Visionary: Peter Favier
The Carthusian monk Peter Favier was a representative of his Order to Pope Clement V at Avignon. During this period, he was at the point of death and was attacked by a strong fear for all the sins of his life. Then Mary appeared as a Refuge for all Sinners, and comforted him saying: "Stop
your crying, so what are you afraid of? Do not you think my compassion will rescue you? I will guide you to my son! All your sins are forgiven."
Visionary: A blind beggar
A blind beggar, who prayed in the woods of Thal in 1313, heard a voice coming from the sky, from which he could learn that an ancient statue of the Madonna could be found in the nearby spring. The voice promised healing as soon as he had washed eyes in the spring. The beggar went to the spot, washed his eyes and soon regained his sight, then pulled the statue from the spring and placed it on a wooden stand where it was venerated by many of the faithful.
Later we learned the origin of the statue: a fellow hermit St. Gerard, who was the first bishop of Csanad (one of the first bishoprics created around the year one thousand - currently in Romania - at that time still under the reign of King Stephen), was carved in lime wood this statue of Mary. It had long been a cult object and then was hidden from persecution in the spring. King Louis built in 1377 a convent and the church where he had placed this statue of the Madonna in a shrine. Under the reign of Joseph II (1786) the Order was dissolved and pilgrimages remained active. The church was run by secular priests. In 1930, during the celebration of the 900th anniversary of the statue of Blessed Virgin Mary, the bishop of Thyrnau celebrated its coronation.
Visionary: James d'Euse (John XXII)
In 1316, when every holy soul was imploring Heaven to put a period to that long and disastrous widowhood of the Church which followed on the death of Clement V, the Queen of Saints appeared to James d'Euse, whom the world was soon to hail as John XXII; she foretold to him his approaching elevation to the Sovereign Pontificate, and at the same time recommended him to publish the privilege she had obtained from her Divine Son for her children of Carmel -----viz., a speedy deliverance from Purgatory. 'I, their Mother, will graciously go down to them on the Saturday after their death, and all whom I find in Purgatory I will deliver and will bring to the mountain of life eternal.' These are the words of our Lady herself, quoted by John XXII in the Bull which he published for the purpose of making known the privilege, and which was called the Sabbatine Bull on account of the day chosen by the glorious benefactress for the exercise of her mercy.
Source: THE APPARITIONS AND SHRINES OF HEAVEN'S BRIGHT QUEEN In Legend, Poetry and History FROM THE EARLIEST AGES TO THE PRESENT TIME.
WILLIAM J. WALSH pp. 176-178
Visionary: Bl. Henry Suso (Heinrich Seuse) (1295-1366)
Henry Suso, German Dominican mystic , shows a child to have a strong devotion to the Holy Virgin. He received the grace of many apparitions of Mary and the Angels, and said that he could hear the heavenly choirs of Heaven. Henry Suso entered the Dominican Order at age thirteen. He lived his "conversion", as inner experience of grace, was to become the servant of Eternal Wisdom. In fact, after he wrote The Little Book of Eternal Wisdom, which recounts a dialogue meeting between the servant (the author himself) and the Eternal Wisdom, identified as Jesus Christ and other times as the Madonna.
The life of Henry Suso was strongly marked by intense mystical experiences, studied from 1322 to 1326 in Cologne, and became a staunch supporter of the ideas of Master Eckhart although later criticized by his Order. Suso had a friendly relationship with John Tauler, Henry Nordlingen and the Friends of God . Since 1348 the mystic lived in Ulm Germany. The Little Book of Eternal Wisdom contains most of his many mystical experiences, such as description of many revelations and apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. These were collected and edited by a nun Elisabeth Stagel. He died at Ulm, January 25, 1366; declared Blessed in 1831 by Gregory XVI, who assigned his feast in the Dominican Order to March 2. The Dominicans now celebrate his feast on January 23, the "open" day nearest the day of his death.
Visionary: A mother Title: Our Lady of Montserrat
A mother whose son had been imprisoned by the Muslims went on pilgrimage to Our Lady of Montserrat. Then, according to legend, Mary appeared and said: "Stop complaining and crying! You will see your son soon." Indeed, after a few days, the child returned and told his mother the Virgin Mary had appeared, had miraculously dissolved chains and sent him on his way. The tradition of pilgrimage to Montserrat dates back to ancient times: from the eighth century, many hermits on this mountain had withdrawn to lead an ascetic life, and since the ninth century, pilgrims have visited the ancient chapel. Around 1000, Abbot Oliva founded a monastery adjoining the church, convent currently primarily Spanish Benedictine Province. The multi-colored wooden statue of the Black Virgin, patron saint of Castile, was created in the twelfth century and every year is the object of devotion by more than half a million pilgrims.
The Madonna appeared miraculously in 1326 to Bishop Guido of Asti, a famous figure in the history Canavese for his work for peace among the feudal lords; for his involvement with the monastery was settled there goods and noble maidens of origin Asti.
Title: Our Lady of Guadalupe Visionary: Gil Cordero (shepherd)
Legend says that in 1326, near the Guadalupe river in Cacerces, Spain, cowherd Gil Cordero experienced an apparition of the Virgin Mary who directed him to a miraculous buried statue given to Spain from Pope Gregory the Great 600 years prior.
Visionary: Saint Peter, Metropolitan of Moscow and all Russia (1326 +),
Saint Peter formerly Patriarch of Moscow, was ordained Metropolitan of Russia. The abbot, Gerontius, who was jealous and wanted to achieve a high ecclesiastical rank, stole several items including an icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary belonging to Peter. Then the Holy Virgin appeared to him that he said to him: "If you have too many trivial concerns, you'll never be elevated to the rank of Metropolitan. " Impressed and moved by this apparition, the abbot Gerontius deeply repented of his greed and returned everything to the legitimate Metropolitan. That same year, Peter moved his headquarters in Moscow. He gave the icon of Mary to Prince Dilovic, encouraging him to Moscow to raise capital of Russia because it was God's will.
Fiesole and Florence (Italy)
Visionary: St. Andrew Corsini (1301-1374)
The Mother of God appeared numerous times to St Andrew
Corsini (1301-1374) who had entered the Carmelite Order. On the day of his ordination in 1328, the Holy Virgin said: "I chose you as my servant, one day I will be magnified through you. " Andrew Corsini was known as a friend of the poor and was asked to be a peacemaker in disputes. In 1349, after was being elected prior of the Carmelites in Florence, he became bishop of Fiesole. On the night of Christmas of 1373, Mary appeared the last time to announce his passing. He died Jan. 6, 1374 and was canonized in 1629.
While Andrew had been celebrating the midnight Mass of Christmas, the Blessed Virgin appeared to him and told him he would leave this world on the feast of the Epiphany, to meet God. It came to pass, and he died on that day.
Miracles were so multiplied at his death that Pope Eugene IV permitted a public cult immediately; but it was only in 1629 that Pope Urban VIII canonized him. His feast is kept on February 4.
In the early eighteenth century, Pope Clement XII erected in the Roman Basilica of St. John Lateran a magnificent chapel dedicated to his 14th century kinsman.
Holy Mary appeared several times to St. Peter Thomasius (1305-1366) encouraging him to continue his intense apostolic activity. In 1325 he entered the Caramel at Bergerac, in 1345 he was attorney general of the Order, in 1354 bishop of Patti and Lipari, in 1359 bishop of Koroni in Greece, Archbishop of Crete in 1363, finally, in 1364, Patriarch of Constantinople. He was the Apostolic Legate for the mediations during the dispute between the Greek and Roman Church, striving with great fervor in an attempt at a reconciliation.
Visionary: Canon Regular Title: Nuestra Senora de Regla
According to the legend, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to a Canon Regular and ordered him to uncover a statue buried five hundred years, which would was carved by St. Augustine and carried by Hippolytus in Spain. The wooden statue Madonna then found by Canon, was venerated under the name Nuestra Senora de Regla.
Visionary: St. Elizabeth of Portugal (1270-1336)
St. Elizabeth of Portugal (1270-1336), daughter of Pedro of Aragon and granddaughter of St. Elizabeth of Thuringia, married King Denis of Portugal. Widowed in 1325, she entered the Franciscan convent of Santa Clara at Coimbra, and worked fervently for the next years on the founding of convents, churches and hospitals for children and poor also tried to restore peace between her son and the king of Castile.
Shortly before his death, she saw Mary as the wonderful "Queen of Heaven", and then asked "Mother of mercy" to be prepared for a holy death. Elizabeth was beatified in 1516 and canonized in 1625.
Visionary: a sick girl
The Holy Virgin Mary appeared to a sick girl and requested that she go to the Augustinian priest to tell him of the apparition and spread her message in his Lenten sermons. The Mother of God left her and to provide proof of this apparition, her image was imprinted on the wall in the room. The girl recovered and performed her task. In 1348 a chapel was built to venerate this image.
December 29, 1336
Title: Madonna dei Fiori / Madonna of the Flowers
Visionary: Egidia (Aegis) Mathis
On the evening of December 29, 1336, in the small town of Bra, (province of Cuneo in the diocese of Turin), a young expecting mother was passing by a votive column consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, on the outskirts of town. Two rough soldiers, from a band of mercenaries, were lying in wait. Egidia Mathis (that was the lady's name), seeing that she was going to be attacked by men who intended to rape her despite her condition, clung on desperately to the image of the Madonna painted on the column, calling for her help.
Without warning, a beam of light flashed from the image, blinding the two mercenaries who fled in a panic. Then, the Madonna herself appeared to Egidia comforted her for several minutes and assured her that the danger over. Then Our Lady vanished. Due to such feelings of fear and emotion, Egidia gave birth at the foot of the column. With her new-born child wrapped in her shawl, the young mother managed to reach the nearest house.
The news of the awful incident spread like wildfire all around town: although it was late, crowds flocked to the place where the attempted attack and the apparition of the Virgin had taken place. There, an extraordinary sight greeted them: the column was surrounded with thick blackthorn bushes which were unexpectedly covered in white flowers despite the harsh late December weather. Since this time, the bushes flower yearly over the same period of days.
Visionary: A monastic Franciscan community
On the feast of the Annunciation in 1338, during the celebration of Holy Mass in a church of a Franciscan monastery, Our Lady appeared with the Child Jesus. The entire monastic community was present at this apparition. It is believed that the Holy Virgin appeared to these Franciscan monks to acknowledge their fervent devotion.
Pochaiv, Ukraine (Russia)
Visionary: St. Sergius (1314?-1392)
The Blessed Virgin Mary, accompanied by St. Peter and John the Evangelist, appeared shortly before Christmas to St. Sergius of Radonezh (1320-1383). At this apparition, the Madonna reassured him that even after his passing, he would remained the patron of the monastery he founded in Rostov.
St. Sergius lead a great prayer followed by miracles every night singing in his cell the liturgical hymn Akathastos glory in the Mother of God and led the monks to a profound veneration for the Holy Virgin.
Visionaries: The townspeople
During the English siege of the city of Tournai in 1340, the hungry population crowded Notre Dame Cathedral, consecrated in 1171, turning in prayer to Mary to ask her intervention. In the fortieth day of the siege, the tormented people symbolically gave the keys to the gates of the city to the statue of the Mother of God. Four days after this ceremony, the enemy soldiers removed their tents. A sudden retreat, as legend has it, was due to some miraculous apparitions of the Virgin Mary outside the city within the enemy camp. The British soldiers who faced these appearances were very disturbed and decided to back down.
Visionary: Blessed Livini (d. 1344)
Blessed Livini was a fervent Franciscan missionary priest dedicated to the spiritual care of the Catholics in Cairo. He published writings on the devotion to the Holy Virgin and Jesus Christ. Mary Often appeared with the Child Jesus, who renewed his courage and devotion. Once, however, as he had neglected the written apostolate of evangelization, Mary appeared to him alone and said, "Bring your work to completion, so you'll see Jesus and may reserve the glory of martyrdom. " When the Franciscan monk finished his work in 1344, he found death in martyrdom.
Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 137; Gamba, 1999, 290.
May 15, 1345
Montenero-Leghorn (Levora), Italy
Title: MADONNA DI MONTENERO
Visionary: crippled shepherd boy
At Montenero-Leghorn (Levora), just south of Pisa in the Tuscany region of Italy, Our Lady is venerated for the miraculous appearance of her image to a crippled shepherd boy on the side of the mountain on May 15, 1345.* A voice asked him to take the picture to the top of the mountain. Because of his physical condition, he wavered but was told not to worry. He struggled to fulfill his mission, and when he reached the top he stopped to gather his strength. It was at that point that he felt a strange tingling in his leg. He rose as a new person and ran to tell his parents carrying the crutch he no longer needed.
There are many wondrous stories of Our Lady of Montenero and many miraculous events attributed to her. Tradition also says that it was through her intercession that the city was saved from the devastation of an earthquake on January 27, 1472. Then there was the miraculous wind that saved the city from invasion launched by Emperor Maximilian I in 1496 and her deliverance of the city from a plague in 1720. In thanksgiving for the latter, all the Leghorn Bills of Health down through the year 1859 bore the image of the Madonna of Montenero. She is also credited with saving St. Paul of the Cross, founder of the Passionists, whose ship was floundering off the coast as he made his way to Pisa in 1750.
The shrine of Our Lady atop the mountain looking down on Leghorn is a very popular pilgrimage destination. Especially attracted to the shine are young, unmarried women who, on the eves of Marian feast days, cast garlands of flowers before her solitarily unique and engrossing image. The painting depicts the Blessed Mother seated with the Jesus on her left knee. A small bird rests on her right forearm singing. (Also see the title Virgin with Garland.)
Source: Santoro, Nicholas. Mary In Our Life, Atlas of the Names and Titles of Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and Their Place In Mar…
May 15, 1345
Siena / Bibbiena (Italy)
Title: Madonna of the Stone and Darkness
Visionary: St. Catherine
On Shrove Tuesday, 1367, she prayed for the "fullness of faith" and had a vision in which Catherine saw Jesus, Mary, and Saint Dominic, the founder of her order. During this vision, the Blessed Virgin presented her to Jesus, who espoused Himself to her. He placed on her finger a gold ring with four pearls set in a circle in it and a wonderful diamond in the middle, saying to her, "receive this ring as a pledge and testimony that you are mine and will be mine for ever." No one else could see the ring but it was always before her eyes.
Sources: Mary, p. 714, Degl'Innocenti & Marinone; www.angelfire.net
Basella, Lombardy, Diocese of Bergamo (Italy)
Visionary: Marina Cassone (15) Title: Madonna of the Olive
On the 8th and the 17th of April, the Queen of Heaven with the baby Jesus in her arms, appeared to Marina Cassone, age 15. The following May, Lafranco, bishop of the Diocese, decided to construct a sanctuary.
Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 108; Gamba, 1999, 291.
Title: Liberator of Prisoners
Visionary: Charles, Count of Verona
Charles, the Count of Verona, was taken prisoner by the Turks and interned in a fortress. In despair, he turned to Mary for help. Having persevered in prayer for some time, he found himself by a miracule in the church of Carmelites of Naples. Count Charles was deeply grateful for life to Madonna. Since then, she was revered as "the Liberator of Prisoners."
Source: Mary, p. 715, Degl'Innocenti & Marinone
May 14, 1386
Dovera, Cremona, Lombardy, Italy
Title: Beata Vergine del Pilastrello
Visionary: A young deaf mute shepherdess
Source: Mary, p. 715, Degl'Innocenti & Marinone
Visionary: Ludwig I, King of Hungary (1342-1382)
Ludwig I, King of Hungary (1342-1382), was a fervent devotee of Mary. In 1363, the Kingdom of Hungary was seriously threatened by an army of two hundred thousand Tatars. Louis, feeling lost in front of the imminent danger, turned to a portrait of the Madonna and prayed constantly to help his kingdom, then suddenly fell into a deep sleep where he dreamed that Mary took the portrait from the table and placed it on his chest. Upon awakening, Louis, finding himself with the image of Mary on his chest, realized that the dream was to reality.
Also in this dream, the Blessed Virgin had made a recommendation to erect a chapel in her devotion in Styria (Austria). Inspired by this vision, King Louis fought strongly and fearlessly against the mighty Tartar army. It reported a wonderful and incredible victory, then attributed the miraculous intervention of Madonna.
In gratitude for the narrow escape, Louis went on pilgrimage among Styrian mountains to fulfill a vow. Next to an old church, where a statue of Mary was venerated, he built an exquisite chapel to Mary. The church was built in ancient Roman style in 1200 by King Henry Vladislav of Moravia in gratitude for healing from a serious illness; it was placed inside the Our Lady of linden wood carved by Magnus Monaco. From building the chapel, gift of King Louis, "Mary Help of Christians (Mariazell Styria) before invoked as "Mother of the Slav peoples," was considered by Hungarian as their sanctuary and became a national goal of imposing pilgrimages. To commemorate this most memorable victory, King Louis erected right on the spot where the Mother of God appeared to him in Slovakia the church of "Mary Help of Christians." This church contains a copy of the statue of Mariazell.
The Count of Ortenberg encountered a swamp and reached that point where his horse would not go any further. The count went down to examine his horse and discovered a wooden statue of Mary. The carved statuette displayed miraculous properties and soon attracted many sick people that went before it in prayer for healing. Around 1400, a chapel was built where it was placed miraculous statue.
Visionary: Ernest Pardubitz, archbishop of Prague (1300-1364)
After the death of Ernest Pardubitz, archbishop of Prague (1300-1364), in a chapel on the holy mountain of Glatz Pribram came from a statue of Mary. The chapel was built around 1250, following appearances of miraculous light, and with it the transfer of the statue became a shrine Marian pilgrimage. In his will, the archbishop wrote that during his youth had a vision of Mary: while he was in the church of Glatz in the evening, he saw the statue of Mary's eyes turned from the altar on his side. Suddenly he saw only the back of the head. The young man shuddered and asked the Holy Virgin to turn her head again. She turned immediately after this gradually, but remained a sign of disapproval on the face of the Mother of God.
The archbishop told this episode only at the time of his death, adding that this event changed his life and since then he had wanted to dedicate himself only to the service of God. He produced a copy of the statue of Mary of Glatz and continued the devotion throughout his life. After his death the statue was placed in the Pribram chapel and was soon the subject of devotional worship by many faithful and sick. Some extraordinary healings attracted more pilgrims. Even today the place is an active pilgrimage destination.
Visionary: St. Vincent Ferrer (1350-1419)
St. Vincent Ferrer entered a Dominican convent in Valencia at the young age of seventeen. While preparing to receive the vows, he heard a voice: "We are all called to chastity." These words confused him and he asked the sweet Holy Virgin Mary to give him the grace of understanding. Then Mary appeared to him saying: "These words mean that Satan certainly attempt to weaken or steal your crown of chastity. Trust in me and God, so attacks of Satan will be turned against himself." So supported and reassured by the heart of the Mother of God, Vincent was able to overcome the temptation, he completed his studies, and became one of the greatest preachers of the late Middle Ages. In disputes of the 'Great Schism of the West', he placed himself on the side of Avignon popes and acted mainly to achieve the unity of the Church. This was, the focus of his sermons between 1399 and 1409. His reputation as a holy man won him much respect, and of course, he also had many opponents who accused him of heresy (a topic of debate in the councils of Pisa and Constance). In 1388 he received the title of "Master of Sacred Theology" from the Pope. Vincent Ferrer preached the Lent in 1381 and was very involved in popular preaching.
Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 805;
Visionary: Catarina Anes, a poor woman
A miraculous spring was found near Aljubarrota and associated with a poor woman named Catarina Anes. According to historical accounts, one day Catarina went to the forest on a mountain called Valle de Deus to search for firewood and when she did heard a voice. It was a woman who offered to help her and when Catarina later went to the top of the mountain as instructed and dug a hole, a spring of crystal-clear water was found. "Now go and tell the people of your village that here they will find a remedy for all their infirmities," said the woman, who was apparently the Virgin Mary. The vision was accepted by the local bishop. D. Pedro de Castillo, when a blind man washed his eyes in the water and regained his vision.
In the same vicinity around the same time, another marvel was recorded as a knight named Nuno was headed for Aljubarrota. He spotted a small church dedicated to Mary in what is today the county of Ourem. Getting off his horse, Nuno entered the church and knelt before the altar, invoking Mary before heading into a great battle between Portugal and the Castillian army, which outnumbered his force. After the prayers the knight marched to battle and while passing through the village of Fatima felt a heavenly presence. The horses suddenly lowered themselves as if to kneel and a number of knights claimed to see angels, including the Archangel Michael. Invoking him, they then went on their mission and claimed victory on August 15, feast of Mary's Assumption.
A image of the 8th century, of the type of the paitning ofthe Virgin by St. Luke, that was transported from Jerusalem to Byzantium by Emperor Constantine, was offered to a Pauline monk at a local monastery, a place called Jasna Gora ("clear the hill" or "light"), where he lived for two years. In 1430, the Hussites sacked the shrine and scarred the icon, which broke into three pieces. In 1523, after a restoration attempt failed due to reactions between the paints, a new work was made, cut at the same places to preserve the memory of the accident. Pilgrims venerate this current copy. In 1764, the Polish Diet decreed eternal gratitude of Poland to the Virgin Mary. Experts think that the original icon of Byzantine origin, dates back to a period between sixth and ninth century (Aucremanne 134). And the shrine of Czestochowa, Poland's national pilgrimage. In 1994 more than four million people from many countries went to view the icon. At that time, 2,610 miraculous interventions were attributed to the Virgin at that place. John Paul II visited six times.
Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 193;
Visionary: shepherd herding cows
It is said that around the year 1384, a shepherd herding the cows with his mother on the grass at the top of a rocky outcrop, where today stands the abbey. In the meantime a mother, in the warm afternoon looking for a cave to rest, the small chils was playing venturing to the edge and fell along the steep cliffs. When the mother woke up, she did not see her son and, realizing what had happened, he hastened to the valley and found the child unharmed. He told her that he had fallen and been caught by a wonderful lady. The child's father was sure that it was the Madonna to save her son. In gratitude for saving him, he had a chapel built in honor of Our Lady in the cave, where his wife was sleeping. It soon became a place of pilgrimage. The first chapel was destroyed by a fire in 1466 but four years later had already been rebuilt. In 1530, in the full swing of the Reformation, the second chapel was plundered and destroyed. The Swabian Jakob Augsburger rebuilt it. The image of the Virgin is venerated in a chapel in the cave under the current Benedictine monastery. To get there one must go down 59 steps. Numerous votives testify along the way to the cave the gratitude of pilgrims and devotees who down the centuries have been here for Mother of God.
Mary appeared to a shepherd and asked him to ask the local bishop to dig up an icon. The bishop listened to the shepherd and the portrait was found. Indeed, in the place indicated by the shepherd, had been buried in ancient times a original first-century Christian wooden portrait of Mother of God on the throne. Queen Catherine of Castile erected a shrine that is maintained by the Dominicans.
Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 703; Ernst, 1989, 41, Gamba, 1999, 293.
Tenerife, Canary Islands (Spain)
Visionary: shepherd Title: Virgen de la Candelaria Feast Day: February 2
According to tradition, the Virgin appeared in 1392 to two aboriginal Guanches who shepherded his flock, who, on reaching the mouth of a gully, they noticed that the cattle did not advance, as if something from going through. To see what was the matter, one of the pastors came forward and saw a rock atop a wooden image about a meter high of a woman. Porta a candle in his left hand and carrying a child on his right arm. The boy had in his hands a golden bird.
The history of this title is linked intimately to the history of the Canary Islands , especially the island of its appearance, Tenerife . No agreement on the year of the appearance, but the majority opinion is that it appeared in the mouth of the ravine Chimisay, municipality canary of Guimaras , 95 years before the conquest of Tenerife , ie appear from 1392 to 1401 . It is therefore the first Marian apparition in the Canaries. Fray Alonso de Espinosa described the history in 1594 .
According to the legend told by Fray Alonso de Espinosa, were two pastors Guanches to enclose their cattle to the caves when they noticed that the cattle were swirling and would not go. Seeking the cause looked toward the mouth of the Barranco de Chimisay and saw on a rock, almost to the sea, the figure of a woman who believed animated. As men were forbidden to speak or approach women in the wilderness, they made signs to withdraw in order to pass the cattle. But want to execute the action, the arm is stiff and motionless stood. The other pastor wanted to hurt her with his knife. But instead of hurting her, was wounded the same. Frightened, the two pastors fled Chinguaro , cave-palace mencey Acaymo to refer what happened. The mencey came with their counselors. She did not answer but no one dared to touch her. The mencey decided that these two pastors were injured and those who collect for transport to the palace. They, in contact with the image, they were healed. The mencey realized that this woman with a child in her arms was something supernatural. The same king then wanted to take it in his arms, but after a stretch, by weight, needed to call for help. Thus, in place of the apparition's now a cross and where the relief requested mencey, a shrine to Nuestra. Señora del Socorro.
Staging of the apparition of the Virgin in El Socorro beach, Guimaras. She was taken to a cave near the king's palace now converted into a chapel . Later a young man named Anton, who had been taken into slavery by the Spaniards and had managed to escape and return to their island, recognized in the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary . He, having been baptized he told the court mencey faith and his Christian that he was holding. Just came to know Mary as "Mother of the Sustainer of heaven and earth" ( Guanche : Achoron Guayaxerax Axmayex Achaman or Chaxiraxi ) and transferred to the Cave of Achbinico (behind the present Basilica of Candelaria ) for public veneration.
Eve of the Ascension 1395
A young shepherd saw a bright light illuminating a tree. As he approached he found a statue of Mary among the branches.
Visionary: A peasant
Source: Mary, p. 715, Degl'Innocenti & Marinone
March 26, 1399
Santa Gadea del Cid, Burgos (Spain)
Title: Virgen del Espino
Visionaries: Pedro Garcia de Arbe and Juan de Enzinas
On March 25, 1399, two shepherds, Pedro, son of Yñigo Garcia de Arbe, and Juan, son of Juan de Enzinas found an oak tree with a beehive. The following evening, Wednesday of Holy Week, they went back to wax and honey to get. At that moment they saw something overweldigends, even according to Marian standards. According to testimony on parchment and signed by a notary in Santa Gadea, the boys saw a group of ghostly people around a huge thornbush. On top of the hawn thorwas, like the burning bush [Exodus 3:2], a lady brighter than the sun, so brilliant that they could not look at her without being blinded.
MiracleHunter.com is the best resource for Marian Apparitions on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.