The Miracle Hunter  
   
HOME APPARITIONS VISIONARIES MESSAGES DISCERNMENT CALENDAR RADIO DISCLAIMER CONTACT
 
   
 

Apparitions (1400 - 1499 A.D.)

   
History

Traditionally Approved

40 - 999 1400 - 1499
1000 - 1099 1500 - 1599
1100 - 1199 1600 - 1699
1200 - 1299 1700 - 1799
1300 - 1399 1800 - 1899

Vatican Approved
Bishop Approved
Coptic Approved
Approved for Faith Expression
Apparitions to Saints
Unapproved Apparitions

c. 1400

Deir Al-Maghti / Al-Magtas (Lower Egypt)

Visionaries: monks of a Coptic monastery
Feast Day: May 16th

In the Middle Ages (date uncertain), at the end of the month of May, the Virgin appeared five days in a row to many monks of a coptic monastery in Dabra-Metmaq. Our Lady was seated in a circle of light in the church constructed in her name. An army of angels with their censers surrounded them. Both Christians and pagans saw this, recounted in the chronicle of the monastery.

According to the accounts of the geographer and Muslim chronicler Al-Maqrizi (1364-1442), the Virgin also appeared each year in the church of the Al-Maghti monastery, known by the Ethiopians by the name of Dabra Metmaq, located close to Lake Bouroullos and north of Bilqas in the Eastern Delta, the 21st day of the Coptic month Bachnas (May 29th), when large crowd, coming from all Egypt, gathered in this place for a pilgrimage as important as that of the church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem.
 
According to Marian tradition preserved in Ethiopia, following the Christ Child's explicit prayer, formulated during the flight of the Holy Family to Egypt, the Virgin appeared annually to faithful pilgrims, who ardently desired to see her from the bottom of their hearts, at Al-Maghti at the time of the pilgrimage which took place during the Coptic month of Bachnas (at the end of May), with the archangels Michael and Gabriel, as well as holy martyrs.

Sources: Maria, t. I, 390-391
Dictionary of the Apparitions. Laurentin (2010) p. 201

c. 1400

Koblarn (Germany)

Visionary:The Count of Ortenberg

The Count of Ortenberg was passing near a thicket when suddenly his horse stopped and refused to continue his run. The count came down to examine the animal, found in the leaves a small wooden statue of the Virgin. The statue got attracted pilgrims and the sick who came to pray before it for healing. Around 1400, the first chapel was built where the prodigious image was placed and then a larger church.

Source: www.latheotokos.it

c. 1400

Macerata (Italy)

Visionary: Bernardina (a young girl)

At the beginning of 1400, the Virgin asked a young girl , Bernardina, to tell the villagers to walk every Sunday in precession as reparation for the scandal committed.

Source: Gamba, 1999, 294

c. 1400

Casal Santa Maria (Portugal)

Visionary: mute shepherdess
Title: Our Lady of the Poison Ivy (Nossa Senhora da Urtiga)

One day a mute shepherd girl was watching her sheep, in the parish of Fátima, when a Lady appeared to her and asked her for a sheep. The shepherd girl noticed that her tongue had become loose and she answered that she would ask her father's permission. And she did so. When she found him, he was surprised to see his daughter speaking. He believed in the veracity of the apparition and told his daughter that he would give not only the sheep but anything that Lady asked for. Happy as a lark the shepherd girl ran to the place where she had seen the Lady, who asked her to build a chapel in her honor.

But like the story of the Virgin of the Ferns the story does not end here.

When the father arrived at the place he found a simple image of the Virgin among the poison ivy. "It was here that the Mother of God wanted her chapel built".

But the good father that that place was not a good one for the building of a chapel. "Our Lady certainly would not mind if the place was on a hill or in a sheltered valley: it would be even better for her and for the faithful. So much wind up there..."

So he picked up the image and went home. He called his carpenter friends and chose a good place at Casal de Santa Maria. And he left the image in a temporary niche.

But, on the following day the image was gone. "Who had been the rascal"?

They looked everywhere and found that the image had returned to its place, wild and windy, in the middle of the poison ivy.

More about this apparition >>

c. 1400

Bettola (Italy)

Title: Madonna of the Oak Tree
Visionary: A young shepherdess

An alleged apparition to a young shepherdess. A chapel was constructed and then abandoned in 1810. A new sanctuary was built in 1885.

Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 703; Ernst, 1989, 41, Gamba, 1999, 341.

c. 1400

Albendorf (Poland)

Visionary: knight

In the thirteenth century, the Virgin Mary appeared in the castle Rathen-Albendorf to a noble knight who, after this event, made in wood carving a statue of Mary about 27 cm similar to the apparition he received. The small effigy was then placed near a lime tree. After a time a blind man did go to that place to venerate the statue, before which he stopped to pray devoutly. Suddenly, as he prayed with intense fervor, was given back the gift of sight. The news of the miracle spread, and many devotees came spontaneously to pay homage to the statue of the Madonna. Pilgrims built a wooden church as a place of worship; in 1512 a nobleman erected a stone church and brought the statue inside. In 1723 the sanctuary was renovated and enlarged, was then elevated to basilica and has always many pilgrims every year.

Source: www.latheotokos.it

c. 1400

Airola. Liguria, Diocese of La Spezio, SESTA GODANO (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Airola
Visionary: Caterina Greppo

Around 1400. the Virgin appeared to Caterina Greppo, mute since birth. She healed her and asked her to build a chapel. A sanctuary was then built in 1450.

Source: Gamba, 1999, 294

1400

Selvino (Italy)

 

1407

Maria Waldrast (Austria)

Visionary: Molluscs, a poor carpenter

Molluscs, a poor carpenter, was three times urged by a supernatural voice to promote the construction of a Marian chapel. In a subsequent appearance of Holy Virgin, she was clear about the location where she wanted it to be built: at Matrei Valley Brenner. The Bishop of Brixen agreed to found the chapel. When it was built, while proceeding to the consecration, everyone heard tolling bells of unknown origin. The chapel was closed to pilgrimages during the reign of Emperor Joseph II. In 1844 it was reopened and restored and a convent was built next to it. In the same year, the chapel also replaced the portrait of the Madonna delle Grazie.

Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 703; Ernst, 1989, 41, Gamba, 1999, 293.

1413

Schiedam (Holland)

Visionary: St. Lidwina

According to local legend, Mary would appear with the Child Jesus and wrapped in a heavenly light to a woman named Lidwina.

1414

Valencia (Spain)

Title: Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados (Our Lady of the Forsaken) - miraculous statue

In the year 1380, ten pious men of Valencia resolved to devote their lives to rescuing and providing for abandoned children . They called their community "The Fraternity of Innocent Children and of the Mother of the Forsaken." They next wished to have a statue of Mary for their new establishment . Three pilgrim youths arrived at the door of the monastery, soliciting lodging for the night. They were hospitably received by the superior, who, in the course of the evening spoke to them about the wished-for statue. They told him they were sculptors by profession and, in reward for his hospitality, and for the honor and glory of Mary, the Mother of God, they would carve him such a statue as was never before seen in all Spain. They asked to be furnished with a block of marble, tools and provisions for three days, and to be left undisturbed during that time. They locked themselves up in a large room and amazingly not a sound of hammer or chisel was ever heard during the three days. On thej fourth day Father Gilaberto, opened the door, and to the astonishment of all, found no sculptors, but a lovely statue of Our Blessed Lady; at the same time the holy woman of the town was entirely cured of her paralysis and blindness. All were unanimous in the opinion that they were angels, since neither the tools nor victuals were touched by them, and the block of marble remained as when purchased. The happy news of the beautiful statue and its miraculous origin spread rapidly over the city. The statue came to be known as Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados. It is four feet high, the head a little inclined, the left arm, as usual, holding the Infant Jesus, while in the right is held a beautiful bouquet of silver. No person has ever been able to tell of what material the statue is composed.

The great number of jewels adorning this statue are very valuable, and serve to show the tender devotion and gratitude of the people for miraculous favors received. It was movedin the year 1489 as the Bishop and clergy, seeing the wonderful miracles worked there, and the throngs of visitors becoming so great, had it removed to the Cathedral Church. But Mary, the sweet Help of Christians, was not to be without a splendid temple for her wonder-working. The Count of Oropesa, Viceroy of Valencia in the year who was cured of plague in 1646 resolved to build a noble temple that would be a lasting monument of their devotion toward Her.

Source: www.salvemariaregina.info

1417

Siena, Tuscany (Italy)

Visionary: St. Bernard of Siena

Holy Mary appeared to St. Bernardino of Siena (1380-1444), when, after his entrance into the Franciscan Order (1402) and his priestly ordination (1404), he became a popular preacher of the mission. Our Lady appeared in her greatest heavenly glory and promised a special gift for the conversion of sinners through his words and miracles. From 1417 on, Bernardino began his extraordinary preaching among the people. His preaching was marked by devotion to Mary, on whom was particularly focused, and veneration of Jesus' name using the trigram IHS. Bernardino was also active as Vicar General Order at the Council of Florence (in support of union with the separated Orthodox Christians) and worked to resolve conflicts between the Guelphs and Ghibellines. He was canonized in 1450.

Jan 3, 1417

Albano Sant'Allessandro, Lombardy, diocese of Bergamo (Italy)

Title: Blessed Virgin of the Roses
Visionaries:
Two lost merchants

The Virgin appeared to two merchants. The sanctuary, authorized by Pope Martin V (1417-1431) was completed in 1418. It was destroyed in 1846 and then rebuilt since September 1855 after a cholera epidemic. The place was made available again for worship in 1883.

Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 137; Gamba, 1999, 296.

July 2, 1420

Castel di Godego (Italy)

Title: Madonna of the Little Cross
Visionary:
Pietro Tagliamento

Sources: Mary, p. 714, Degl'Innocenti & Marinone;

Sept 8, 1420

Cordoba (Spain)

Visionary: Gonzalo Garcia

The Virgin accompanied by the Holy Martyrs appeared to Gonzalo Garcia next to the fig tree, and promised to heal many people with water from a fountain nearby.

Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 137; Chiron 1995, 69. Gamba, 1999, 297. L.M. Herran "Historia, mito y legenda en las apariciones de la Virgen: Estudios Marianos, 1961, vol. 12, 262, 267-268.

1420

Faenza, Emilia Romagna (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Grace
Visionary:
A widow

In 1420 the city of Faenza was in the throes of fever. The Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to a widow and promised to answer her prayers and to free the city from disease. Following this apparition of the Madonna, penitential processions were organized and gradually the city was liberated from the infection. On the wall of the churchAndrew was hung a painting of the apparition of Mary to the widow. This portrait was then placed on the altar of the church and in 1651 was crowned. In 1781 the city chose the "Lady of Grace" as patron.

Source: Laurentin, Rene. Dictionary of the Apparitions of the Virgin Mary p 263.

1422

Cesi (Italy)

Visionary: Giacomo delle Corone da Portaria

The tradition says that the beginning of the use of the Crown of the Seven Joys of the Virgin has an origin in an apparition, which took place in 1422 in the convent of Cesi (Portaria) near Terni. The novice Giacomo delle Corone da Portaria. The legend relates that while the novice was praying in church before the image of the Virgin, she told him to recite daily seven decades of Hail Marys, interspersed with meditation on the seven joyful mysteries.

Source: http://accademiamariana.org

1424

Domremy (France)

Visionary: Joan of Arc

Even Joan of Arc was blessed with apparitions of the Holy Virgin. Indeed St. Joan of Arc (1412-1431) heard some voices often from the age of thirteen urging that she save France threatened to leave Orleans by the English king and to consecrate the Dauphin Charles. For some years, she resisted these inner locutions and the apparitions, as well as the Archangel Michael and Saints. Finally in 1429, the young mystic came to the Dauphin in Chinon. He, after experts examined it by some theologians, the trust agreed. After some events, Joan was devoted to Charles VII in Reims and was unfortunately betrayed by the Burgundians and captured to the English surrendered. The Bishop of Beauvais held a long Inquisition proceding on May 30, 1431.

Joan was burned alive on the Old Market Square in Rouen. In 1447 Charles VII ordered a retrial which led to the complete rehabilitation of young mystic. She was beatified in in 1909 and canonized in 1920.

1425

Warta, Bohemia (Czechoslovakia)

Visionary: A young man

In the thirteenth century, according to tradition, Mary placed an ancient wooden statue in a chapel to increase the Marian devotion of believers. In 1425, the Mother of God appeared beside this statue, sitting on a stone and very sad, predicted the atrocities of the Hussites. The statue was then placed in the shelter during unrest and in 1647 placed in a new chapel.

March 7,1426

Monte Berico (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Berico
Visionary: Vincenza Pasini (70)

The Blessed Virgin appeared in Monte Berico, to an elderly of 70 years, Vincenza Pasini, wife of John of Montemezzo, while bringing lunch to her husband who was working in the fields. She said, "I ask you to build a church here in my honor. If they do, the plague will stop, otherwise continue with more violence. "But neither the bishop nor the priests believed her and the plague continued ... Appeared to her still other times, insisting on repeating the same words, until August 25, 1428, and then the whole population believed , led by the bishop, who climbed Mount Berico to start the construction of the Church. Found a spring and in that place occurred many miracles and healings. The plague ceased, and the Bishop recognized the apparitions as authentic. After a century, the source was exhausted, but in 1955, during excavations for the new convent, found the spring of water.

The Virgin appeared again to Vincenza Parisi, on August 1, 1428. The city was in dire straits, and the Virgin repeated her request and her promises to the old woman. Vicenza went back down to the city and she was believed this time: the city officials, the Council of One Hundred and the Council of Five Hundred gathered in the Great Hall of Reason, and decided to build the church on Monte Berico in as short a time as possible. So the people started building twenty-four days later. The Virgin had told Vincenza about a water source that would flow out of a rock in the place where the shrine would be built, and this is exactly what happened. During the construction work, "a marvellous and incredible source of water flowed... to the point of flooding the area like an abundant river coming noisily down the mount."

Also, in reference to the Virgin's second promise, great quantities of money were received. "Construction was begun on August 25, the great plague partly disappeared, and the church was completed in three months. After that the region was completely freed from this great calamity, so much so that ever since that day, through God's protection, it has never again suffered from that disease. "

The busy shrine of Our Lady of Berico has now become one of largest shrines dedicated to Mary in Europe. "On the first Sunday of the month we have an average of twenty-two thousand confessions. Sometimes we stay until ten o'clock p.m. in the confessional," stated a member of the Servites of Mary, the congregation which has watched over this beautiful site and its magnificent panorama since 1435.

Source: According to an article by Pina Baglioni, published in the magazine "30 Days" Quotation #1430, Bertoliana Vicenza Library

latheotokos.it

May 1428

MONTEORTONE (Italy)

Visionary: Pietro Falco
Title: Madonna della Salute

May 20, 1428

Stia (Italy)

Visionary: A peasant
Title: Santa Maria delle Grazie

1429

Penafrancia (Spain)

Title: Our Lady of Penafrancia
Visionary: Brother Simon Vela

Mary appeared several times to the Frenchman Simon Vela, a Marian devotee. In her appearances, Our Lady urged the devotee to seek an ancient icon, which had been buried many years ago because Moorish invasion. For five years the man tried without success to uncover the portrait. He found it in 1434, thanks to a miracle of Mary herself where light had fallen from heaven on the place where the painting was buried. Once it was unearthed, he realized that the portrait showed the first apparition of Mary that he received. In 1437 the Dominicans founded a convent in that place.

1430

Marienbaum (GERMANY)

Title: Holy Mary of the Fountain
Visionary:
A paralytic shepherd

A pastor shepherd dreamt in 1430 of a large tree with the trunk in the form of steps, between the branches of which there was a picture of Mary. A voice urged the shepherd to look into the reality of this painting, andif he found it, he would be cured of his illness. Soon after, with the help of other people, he actually found the picture and was able to immediately move and walk. This event had a great resonance among the people who came to see and venerate the miraculous picture of the Virgin Mary. They tried to remove the painting from the tree to place it in a nearby church, but any attempt to extricate it from the branches proved futile. It was then in 1441 built a chapel near the tree and, next to it, a monastery to which he was also entrusted with the care of the pilgrims. In the eighteenth century the chapel was restored and transformed in the beautiful present church and the tree was custiodito inside the large bell override the facade.

Source: latheotokos.it

1430

Jaén, Andalucia, Spain

Title: Virgen de la Capilla,

     

May 26, 1432

Caravaggio, Lombardy (Italy)

Title: Holy Mary of the Fountain
Visionary:
Giannetta de Vecchi (32)

Mary appeared to a poor woman, Gianetti de Vacchi, who had suffered greatly and said that her cabin would become a shrine and also entrusted to her the task of bringing a message of peace as Venice and Milan were fighting among themselves. Some time later, in 1575, in the place where the apparition had occurred, a larger chapel was built.

More about this apparition >>

1433

Ancona (Italy)

Visionary: Blessed Gabriele Ferretti

1438

Bologna (Italy)

Visionaries: Townspeople

As the legend goes, in 1438 the people of Bologna were rescued from an infectious disease through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin, but soon a new misfortune threatened the city: the enemy army laid siege. Residents desperate again pleaded for the intervention of Mary. After several days of uninterrupted supplication, the Holy Virgin again made her appearance in majestic form on roof of houses and walled cities, when the attackers saw beautiful and overwhelming show of light, they became frightened and fled.

1440

Rome (Italy)

Visionary: Frances Ponziani

Francesca Romana, from the noble family de Bussi, was born in Rome in 1384, married in 1395 with Lorenzo de 'Ponziani and was a model Christian wife and mother. Often Francesca Romana received mystical apparitions of his guardian angel, the Saints and the Madonna, to whom Francesca was most devoted (she dictated her mystical experiences of ninety-seven Marian visions to her confessor). During the struggle for the papacy in Rome, her husband was almost murdered. In 1425 she laid the foundations for a religious foundation (Society of Oblates of the Monastery of Santa Maria la Nova Olivetan) that in 1433 was officially approved (today: Oblates of Santa Francesca Romana). Despite papal approval, Francis remained in family life, but when her husband died in 1436, she assumed leadership of the congregation. The mystic died March 9, 1440 reciting Vespers of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a practice she followed since childhood. In 1608 she was canonized.

Oct 9, 1440

Desenzano al Serio, Lombardy, diocese of Bergamo (Italy)

Visionaries: Ventura Bonelli (11)
Title: Our Lady of the Miracle

The Virgin appeared to Ventura Bonelli, a farmer 11 years old, daughter of Andreolo de Bonelli, for fifteen months with the left leg seriously ill, so the doctor decided to amputate that day. In the night between 8th and 9th , suffering great grief, the girl got up and crawled to the door of her house.

Here, in a dazzling light, Mary appeared suddenly and she knelt down in front, discovering the leg sick within a white bandage, wrapped it with soil, took the mud smeared with spit and spread it on the limb, then tying the clothesback around it . Our Lady told her that morning, completely healed, she had to show her fellow citizens to spread the miracle, asking that a shrine place was built at that place.

In 1468 the the first sanctuary building was completed, called the Ripa. In 1599 a second opened, built where the house in Ventura. From the remodleing of this, around 1740, the current sanctuary was born.

Source: Dictionary of Apparitions of the Virgin Mary. Laurentin p. 208. Gamba, 1999, 300.

1440

MARIA FALLSBACH (AUSTRIA)

Visionary: a noble hunter

According to an ancient tradition, around the year 1440, the Virgin appeared to be a noble hunter who had a passion for hunting and practiced on Sundays. Just saw, to his astonishment, an image of the Virgin harnessed between the horns of a deer. Following the animal to the banks of a stream and finding him dead, he took horns with the picture from the lifeless body and placed it in a chapel built at his own expense. In the sixteenth century, between 1516 and 1517, the chapel was enlarged and transformed into the sanctuary.

Source: latheotokos.it

1443

FEZ (MOROCCO)

Visionary: Prince Ferdinand, the Stoic, son of King John I of Portugal (1402-1443)

Prince Ferdinand, the Stoic, son of King John I of Portugal (1402-1443), was caught in a battle against the Moorish army. Ferdinand, imprisoned and desperate, asked protection of the Madonna. She then appeared with St.
Michael, St. John the Evangelist, and many Angels and released him from his earthly chains and brought him to heaven. Ferdinand the Stoic of Portugal is known as the "holy prince".

1443

Madrid (Spain)

Visionary: Blessed Beatrice of Silva

Holy Mary appeared to Blessed Beatrice of Silva, born in 1424 into a noble family Portuguese, who lived at the court of King John II of Castile as a companion lady of Queen Isabella. For reasons of jealousy, she fell into disgrace and was imprisoned; then vowed to dedicate herself to the service of Mary and Jesus Christ.

As she pleaded, she was released and retired to a Cistercian monastery Toledo. In 1484, she founded the Order of the Conception (Immaculate Conception), which later, was approved by Pope Innocent VIII.

1446

Fiesole (Italy)

Visionaries: Two peasant shepheredesses

Twin shepherdesses in 1446 brought the sheep in everyday near Fiesole. On the mountain road that the girls usually walked was a small cavern carved into the rock, was a statue of Mary and Jesus with two angels. In this place, they used to stop and pray. One morning, while they were absorbed in prayer, the girls saw a light around the clear statue, then saw the Holy Virgin move and open her lips, she told others about this apparition and to come to this place his father. When the next day came the father of the shepherd, the Mother of God appeared to him and instructed to tell all the faithful of the area to erect a church where they could venerate her. Locals, out of gratitude to the Holy Virgin, gave orders to start the construction of the church. The construction had just begun when Mary appeared to all present to thank them and encourage them to bring the work to completion. So the local legend goes.

1447

Saluzzo, Piedmont (Italy)

Visionaries: Townspeople

In 1447, a fire of gigantic proportions was threatening the town of Saluzzo. The frightened people called for help from the Virgin Mary. After deep and repeated invocations, in a blue light, she was seen on top of the homes soaring through flames. Shortly after, the fire was miraculously tamed.

 

Betharram Pyrenees (France)

Visionaries: children

Some children discovered a luminous statue of the Madonna in the area of Betharram, in the French Pyrenees to the west of Lourdes. The story belongs to the local tradition and is well attested: a child during a hike, broke away from other children to pick flowers along the Gave river. She had wanted to make an offering to the saints. But she fell into the river and was saved by the intervention of the Madonna who had meanwhile appeared to the other children. Several people went to the scene of the event pray to the Virgin. For years afterward, the area was the destination of many pilgrimages.

Mar 3, 1449

Cubas de la Sagra (Spain)

Title: Our Lady of the Cross

Visionaries: Ines Martinez (a young shepherdess), St. Juana Vasquez de la Cruz

March 3-19, 1449

Madrid (Spain)

Visionary: Inés Martinez (12)

- In 1449, Inés Martínez, 12, saw the Virgin six times, from March 3-19. Dressed in gold, the beautiful Lady appeared to the girl while she was herding pigs. On March 9, Mary took a cross from Inés and planted it to mark the location of her desired shrine, which later became a Franciscan convent. For many years this anniversary was celebrated with a procession from the town to the rural sanctuary, where the nuns would expose the cross. During the Civil War, eight sisters were martyred and the shrine burned. In 1988, rebuilding began. On March 5, 1994, the new church was dedicated and the Bishop of Getafe designated it a Diocesan Sanctuary. The new convent is home to Clarissan nuns, and in recent years, the March 9 pilgrimage has been revived.

- In 1449, a young girl saw the Virgin for eight days in a row. the apparition requested that a church be built.

- A famous incident occurred in southwest of Madrid when a twelve-year-old girl named Inés Martinez had a total of six apparitions: Mary dressed in a snow-white abrochada and wearing gold slippers. Here she warned people to confess their sins because an epidemic was coming.

Source: DSm, 224.

1449

Anderlecht (Brabant, Belgium, diocese of Malines-Bruxelles)

Title: Our Lady of Grace
Visionary: 1 woman

A very devout woman had the privilege of receiving an apparition of Our Lady who appeared to her as Our Lady of Grace.

Source: Arch Ernst suppl.; Gamba, 1999, 301; Hierzenberger, 1993, 112.

1450

Neukirchen (Germany)

Visionary: Susanna Halada

Susanna Halada was a peasant who brought unless a statue of the Virgin Mary from Bohemia to Bavaria. She hid the sacred object in a cavity of a lime not far from Regensburg. In 1450 a Hussite fanatic found the statue and threw it in a well. Miraculously, the statue retook its place. Three times he repeated the same act, finally exasperated, the Hussite slashed the head of the statue that immediately bled. Faced with the supernatural phenomenon, the fanatic tried to escape, but the horse would not move at any cost. Then, trembling with fear, Mary knelt before him bleeding and sincerely asked forgiveness. The Hussite, then converted, returned numerous times to the site as a pilgrim.

1450

Bologna (Italy)

Visionary: St. Catherine Vigri of Bologna (1413-1463)

St. Catherine Vigri of Bologna (1413-1463), after her entry of the Order Poor Clares in 1432 in Ferrara, was often blessed by the Marian apparitions. Then by 1456 she lived as abbess in Bologna. On Christmas Eve of 1450, the Virgin appeared to her closely with the Child Jesus in her arms, then once again Mary Catherine saw her accompanied by saints and angels in chorus or harps.

In The Seven Spiritual Weapons, she described her mystical experiences. She was a painter and poet, composing hymns in Latin and Italian. Her incorrupt body rests and is exposed to the cult devotional in the chapel of the convent of Poor Clares at Bologna. He was canonized in 1712.

ca. 1450

Betharram (France)

Visionary: a young girl

Legend says that a young girl during a hike, broke away from other children to pick the flowers on the bank of the river Gave. She wanted to pay homage to the Madonna, but fell into the river and was miraculously saved by the intervention of the Virgin herself who had meanwhile appeared to the other children.

Source: www.mariadinazareth.it

 

Trani (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of the Doctor
Visionary: Dr. Pascariello Macchia

She appeared to the doctor Pascariello Macchia in the mid-fifteenth century with the assurance of the sad end of the scourge of the plague of Trani. The Virgin Mary showed her concern and care for the city. The sanctuary built in that place and the coronation of the venerated effigy of the "Madonna of the Doctor" which took place roughly 500 years after the memorable event, gave luster and splendor to the statue of the Virgin and the filial devotion of the people.

More about this apparition >>

 

MATRAVEREBÉLY-SZENTKIST (HUNGARY)

Visionary: a shepherd

A local legend tells of the miraculous following phenomena: a mute shepherd had the privilege of seeing the Blessed Virgin showed him a source of spring water. The confident shepherd went to this spring and wet his throat, and immediately afterwards he could speak. A document of which can be viewed at this place recounts that more healings of this type also occurred.

 

Florence (Italy)

Visionary:St. Pierozzi Anthony (1389-1459)

St. Pierozzi Anthony (1389-1459), Dominican priest and bishop of Florence, wrote 46 sermons on the Holy Mother and untiringly preached the practice of devotion to Mary. Before his death, he received the grace of a holy apparition of Madonna and was protected in her mantle as he left this earth.

The hagiographic legend has it that when he saw the Mother of God, he asked, "how can I praise you best?". He was canonized in 1523.

 

Paris (France)

Visionary: Bl. Alan de Rupe ( also Alan of Brittany) 1428 -1461

Born in 1428 in Britain, as a Dominican father and was taught at University of Paris (1461) and Rostock(1470). Often Mary appeared to him to exhort us to pray and preach the Rosary. He led the Brotherhood of palm kernel and led a life devoted. He died on the anniversary of the birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1475 in Zwolle. Alan de Rupe wrote the Psalms of Mary (or The Rosary also) that belonged to the prayer of obligation Marian-inspired religious communities. The Psalms included 15 Our Fathers, 150 Hail Marys and 150 contemplations.

late 15th century

Graffignano (Italy)

Visionaries: Several shepherds

Aug 14, 1453

Ghisalba (Italy)

Visionary: Antoniola

1460

Loreto (Italy)

Holy House of Mary
Visionaries: The people

     

April 3,1460

Crema, Cremona, Lombardy (Italy)

Title: Santa Maria della Croce
Visionary: Caterina de' Uberti

May 8, 1460

Saronno (Italy)

Visionary: Pietro Morandi, a paralytic

On the night of May 8, 1460, a young man named Pedretto Morandi, sick and bedridden for several years, had a vision of the Virgin. A great light illuminates the room and a beautiful woman appears inside that says, "If you want to be healed, go to the chapel via Varesina. There you will find a church built in my honor." Peter immediately called his family, told about the apparition, was accompanied to the chapel indicated and miraculously was healed. After the construction of a "clique" that ruined three times, the saronnesi decided to form a committee of MPs to erect a temple that was worthy of the Lady's request and 8 May 1498 on the occasion of the feast day of St. Victor, laid the first stone marking the start of the construction of the Sanctuary. In a few years, the work came to an end and never stopped despite numerous invasions by northern countries of Europe to predators and soldiery resulting in looting, onerous tolls, destruction and serious epidemics. The complex was built in three stages: the Renaissance from 1498 to 1516 including the apse, the presbytery, the antipresbiterio, the dome with lantern and bell tower in 1556 they proceeded to an elongation of three bays of the nave and two aisles with 'addition of the sacristy, and finally from 1570 to the early 1600s were added two bays and erected the facade.

Source: http://www.latheotokos.it

1464

Brescia (Italy)

Visionary: Blessed Stephana de Quinzanis

Blessed Stephana de Quinzanis (1457- 1530) was an Italian Dominican tertiary and stigmatic. She received many mystical experiences in her life including visions of Our Lord, His Blessed Mother, St. Dominic, St. Thomas Aquinas, and St. Catherine of Siena.

More about this appparition >>

April 30, 1464

GORGSONY, Pecs (Hungary)

Title: Mary Seat of Wisdom (bleeding image)

In 1961, the miraculous portrait of Our Lady of Grace, called Mary Seat of Wisdom, was found and restored. This painting, as reported by the news these days, he would have bled profusely from April 30, 1464 until May 18, 1464.

     

Sept 1465

GARLASCO (Italy)

Visionary: Maria (13) (mute)
Title: Madonna della Bozzola

It was the first Sunday of September, when a thirteen year old deaf-mute girl, Mary of Garlasco, was grazing her animals when suddenly the sky clouded by the approach of a thunderstorm.

Mary sought shelter under a small kiosk where there was a fresco of the Blessed Virgin Mary, painted by Augustine of Pavia as a votive offering for being saved from drowning in the river Ticino. The river then ran a few yards away from where the girl was, a place studded with bushes of hawthorn. Suddenly a ball of light appeared. The Blessed Virgin Mary entrusts the girl with a mission: " Here at Garlasco I want a sanctuary to protect the whole Lomellina. Many are the graces that I pour into this place and my children will experience the treasures of my mercy." Maria returned to Garlasco and neighbors heard the child's mouth, no longer deaf and dumb, at once believed the Our Lady's message of the apparition. From that moment the girl called Maria was blessed by Mary with the miracle that Our Lady had made on her. The pastor of Garlasco took care of her, who retired to the convent, run by nuns and located on the western boundary of the territory of Garlasco Tromello between Alagna and near the river Terdoppio.

The miraculous event gave way the building of the sanctuary. The building was erected in its present form, in four building campaigns that winds through the centuries. The first chapel dates back to the two decades between 1462 and 1483 and its alloy construction to the wonder above narrated.

Source: latheotokos.it

October 1465

Paris (France)

Visionary: Bl. Alain de la Roche (d. 1478)

One day, in a Dominican church in Paris, during the All Saints' Day octave, Bl. Alain de la Roche reproached himself for the lukewarm way he was reciting his rosary. Suddenly, Our Lady, accompanied by other virgins appeared before him and said, "Do not flee, my son! If you don't believe who my companions and I are, just make the sign of the cross before us. If we are hellish visions, we will disappear immediately. If, on the contrary, we are heavenly visions, we will remain, and the light that emanates from each one of us will brighten."

Alain made the sign of the cross and the light of the apparition grew brighter. "O my son, doubt no more! I am your virginal bride," Our Lady told him. "I have always loved you and I am concerned about you always. But you must know that nobody is without pain in this world; neither me, nor my Son, nor any of these saints have lived without suffering. What is more, you must keep the faith and patience as your weapons and prepare yourself for trials more difficult than those which you have experienced up to now. I have chosen you to fight like a brave man and a hero under the flag of Jesus Christ, not like a parody of a soldier! You will stand next to me under my banner. As for the moments of spiritual desert that you have experienced these past few days, don't let them worry you anymore. I wanted you to take that test. Accept it now as a penance and punishment for your past sins. Accept it also as a means of making progress in patience and for the salvations of others, both dead and alive."

This is how Blessed Alain de la Roche described the apparition that sent him out into the world to preach: Her beauty seemed to reach the summits of what is possible; and, before such beauty, the beauty of flowers, even the beauty of the stars are only a pale copy, a formless shadow, a coarse outline. There exuded from the depths of her physical presence a sweet, powerful and intoxicating perfume. The accent of her voice and her words were so charming-nothing in this world can come close to comparing to her beauty."

Source: Dictionnaire des Apparitions. Laurentin p 63. (Fayard 2006)

April 26, 1467

GENAZZANO (Lazio)

Title: Our Lady of Good Counsel

In this place is venerated miraculous image of "Our Lady of Good Counsel." On April 25, 1467 the fresco was miraculously brought by the Angels of God to Genazzano in the neighborhood of Rome. Originally the painting was in Jerusalem, was then taken Shkodra to put it away from danger of the Muslims.

For two hundred years this painting was in Albania, but faced with the danger that was dishonored was resulted in a safer location. Many people, even popes and saints who have received abundant graces . Many artists have painted imitations of this image is miraculous but no one seems able to make an identical copy, the fact remains that it is venerated in many places. Despite having taken place
a few centuries, the original painting shows a still miraculously alive shine.

Sometimes it has been noticed by those who prayed in deep contemplation, that the face Madonna would not stay in the same position. Place of worship devotional is the shrine of Our Lady of Good Counsel.

Sept 1468

Ospedaletto Euganeo (Italy)

Title: Blessed Virgin of the Tresto
Visionary: Giovanni Zelo

     

1468

Oñate, Guipúzcoa , Basque Country ( Spain )

Title: Nuestra Señora de Aránzazu (miracuous image)
Feast: September 9

The name of the sanctuary, the place of the Virgin and is related to the legend of his appearance. In itself, the word arantzazu include "arantza" which translates as "thorn" and the suffix "zu" indicating "abundance" so comes to mean "abundance of thorns" and refers the existence of abundant thorny bushes in place.

Esteban de Garibay , in his Compendium of history and world history Chronicas all kingdoms d'Spain ( 1571 ) says that the Virgin appeared to a virgin named Mary in Datuxtegui. In the same book, however, gives another version, which is the best known. Garibay said that got this story from a witness who would have met a pastor named Rodrigo de Balzategui. This man said that he had discovered the small image of the Virgin with the child in her arms, hidden in a thicket of thorns, with a cowbell . Seeing he would have exclaimed:? Arantzan zu, which means "in the thorns?, You?"!.

This legend reappears in the first written history of the sanctuary by the Franciscan Gaspar Gamarra twenty years later (in 1648 ):

Llámasse Aránzazu good bascongado Cantabrian language as haverse ethimología of this holy image found in a hawthorn, which in this language is called Aranza and added the zu diction, and is in my opinion what happened in the mysterious discovery of this sovereign Daisy, filled with admiration the pastor, seeing such a beautiful and glowing image of Mary Most Holy that was a thorn throne of the heart's affections said: Arantzan zu, it's like dixera in Spanish: Vos, Lady, with Reyna de los Angeles, Mother of God, sinners lawyer, shelter afflicted, whom many worship and veneration is accrued when merecíais be as you are in heaven in throno of Seraphines, much more expensive and attractive than Solomon made for relaxation. You, Madam, in a hawthorn?

The image of the Virgin Atánzazu is a stone carving profile gothic simple design. On the right hand holds a ball symbolizing the globe and left holding the child sitting on the same side leg something sitting. It measures 36 cm and weighs 9 kg. Describe the face image as a "healthy village wide collar and generous chest." The child is not as well worked as the principal figure, has an air Byzantine and carrying a fruit in his left hand. It usually occurs on the trunk of a hawthorn and a cowbell next.

Source: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santuario_de_Aránzazu

     

1470

Zyrovic (Lithuania)

In 1470, the Virgin Mary to six pastors indicates where you can find ancient icon. The icon was discovered, according to the sources can not be verified, According to Gamba

November 1470

Badia di Cava (Italy)

Visionary: Gabrielle Cinnamo (shepherd)

One afternoon in November 1470, a shepherd Ponteprimario at Sunset, in the province of Salerno, named Gabriele Cinnamo, while he is tending the sheep with the young Dattilo Parito sees wandering around a cliff surrounded by Ivy, a lovely dove, which repeatedly comes out and falls into a bush grown in discrete height. Curious tries in vain to climb up the steep rock, but can not. The next day returns with a long ladder and a good ax to clean the brambles and bushes, and introduces the hole mate Dattilo with a lantern that can see a beautiful and spacious cave. The next night, however, while sleeping, Gabriel sees in a dream the Virgin Mary, who tells him: "Gabriel, leaving to others the care of the goats; edificami a chapel in the cave, and I'll always be your advocate." The next morning Gabriel was perplexed about what to do, it is a simple dream, but decided to personally inspect the cave. This is convenient, even if wet, to build a chapel. Do not spend many days, while grazing his flock and he is intent to weave wicker, sees a mysterious light in the cave and at the same time feels the same words that Our Lady had told him in a dream. Stunned by this clear and categorical command, decides to leave the herd, wearing a coarse habit, and start a new life, calling themselves Fra 'Gabriel. Then obtained the permission of the Abbot of the Benedictine Santa Maria de Olearia in Maiori, under whose spiritual jurisdiction is the territory, he builds an altar in the cave of the miracle dedicating it to the Blessed Virgin under the title of "advocate." The news of the miraculous event spreads like wildfire and soon, with the help of the people, is built at the top of the rock church with a bell tower and a few rooms for the convenience of pilgrims. These rooms were enlarged in 1508 and increased by the same Fra 'Gabriel, to satisfy the desire of seven of his fellow countrymen who want to give themselves to him as a hermit's life. This is the first group of many hermits who honor the Virgin until 1687, that is, until the coming of the Camaldolese of Monte Corona, who built a hermitage regular. The Camaldolese decorate the church with marble and precious furnishings, September 8, 1720 the church was consecrated and dedicated to SS. dell'Avvocata by the Bishop of Ravello and Scala, Bishop Warrior. In memory of the work of expansion and embellishment made by the Fathers Camaldolesi is placed on the center door a plaque that still today can be read in Latin. It recalls the discovery of the cave by means of a dove, and the construction of the primitive church in honor of B. Virgin Advocate, by Gabriel Cinnamo in 1475, enlarged and embellished by the children of St. Romuald in 1719.

Source: http://www.latheotokos.it

1471

KRAKOW (POLAND)

Visionary: Isaiah Boner (1400-1471) Augustinian monk and professor of Theology

Holy Mary appeared to Isaiah Boner (1400-1471), Augustinian monk and professor of Theology. He was known for deep devotion to Mary and also for the severity of his atonement, and a special spiritual fervor. Shortly before his death he saw the Blessed Virgin Mary, the angels and saints that gave some of the great joy of preparing him for Heaven.

Aug 1479

Mogliano Veneto (Italy)

Title: Madonna of the Graces
Visionary: A deaf mute woman

May 18, 1480

Canzano (Italy)

Title: Most Holy Mary of Alno
Visionary:
Fioro di Giovanni

July 16, 1480

Boccadirio (Italy)

Title: Madonna of the Graces
Visionary: Donato Nutini and Cornelia Vangelisti (2 children)

Two children Baragazza, named Donato Nutini and Cornelia Vangelisti, were in Boccadirio tending the sheep. While waiting at the pasture, sometimes they gathered in prayer. During one of these moments, the Madonna, all wrapped in white, appeared to them, across the river on a cliff to the west. Moving from this cliff, the Blessed Virgin came close to two children and there Donato promised to become a priest and Cornelia to be a nun, showing the monastery, the place and form, where she will live. The white lady also carried another message that affected the nearby people and those of all the surrounding valleys. She asked the two children, to make known her desire to be venerated in that place and promises her protection. Returning home, Donato and Cornelia tell all about appearance and the words they heard. After an initial hesitation, the population believed the simple and naive story of the two children. They immediately began to manufacture, at the place where Our Lady had spoken to the two children, a small church dedicated to Our Lady of Grace, became in time the rich and complex architectural that is now the sanctuary of Boccadirio.

Source: www.latheotokos.it

c. 1480

Rome (Italy)

Title: Queen of Paradise
Visionary: Blessed Amadeo Mendez da Silva

March 27, 1483

Imola (Italy)

Title: Blessed Virgin of Piratello
Visionary: Stefano Mangelli

1484 - 90

Sasso (Italy)

Visionaries: The Ricovera sisters (August 22, 1485 the Virgin Mary appeared to all the people gathered in prayer with the two seers)

August 15, 1484

Lepe, Huelva, Andalucía (Spain)

Title: Nuestra Señora de la Bella (miraculous image)
Feast: August 15

The legend about the discovery of the image is told for the first time in a letter from Friar Fernando de San Jose, a resident of the convent, in 1673. The legend reads: "On August 15, circa 1484, as they strolled along the banks Friars of The Lump, a boat manned by three sailors stood by the friars. They got off the boat along with a wooden box and begged the friars to be kept in the convent until the time they could come back for her. They accepted this task, and for some years was kept under the protection of the monastery, until one day a monk of the Third Order of St. Francis asked to open the box in the presence of all the brothers. After being favorably resolved your request, opened the box and showed the Sacred Image, and at that moment all exclaimed at once: Oh, Bella!'s Like heaven! After this event, they decided to place it on the altar of his church. When the news spread throughout the region, the faithful flocked to stare at the image and, in turn, gave alms for the construction of the convent, which at the time the works were paralyzed. Since that event he was enshrined Nstra title. Ms. de la Bella ... »

The image remained in the convent until 1835, when it was moved to the Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman in Lepe. The Chronicles tells us so: "In the year 1835, Mendizabal decreed by Royal Order of the Ministry of Grace and Justice of July 25, the secularization of some convents. Entering them the Convent of Our Lady of Beauty, superiors decided to move to the nearby Monastery of La Rabida taking with them their belongings image. On August 7 came a boat on the shores of El Terron for such rushed. Upon learning this fact Brother Joseph, chaplain of the convent and well known in Lepe for this, decided to warn the residents of this town in middle of the night, calling door to door to tell them what was going to happen. They all excited, followed the monk to the monastery. the monk opened the door of the chapel and shouted Viva la Virgen de la Bella!. The people who were, took the picture with her hands and took her running and almost in a twinkling, fearing that followed. Arriving at dawn to the Cross First, where were calmer. Finally, they took her to the church, entering triumphantly. "
Since that time the image remains on the town.


Source: wikipedia

November 1485

Cava (Italy)

Title: Queen of Paradise
Visionary: Gabriel Cinnamo (Friar John of Naples)

August 31, 1484

Agres (Spain)

Witnesses: many people (miraculous statue)

1490

Alaexos, Castiglia (Spain)

Visionary: a woman

The Virgin requested that a chapel be built.

Source: Ernst, 1989, 49 and Hierzenberger, 1993, 188

April 3, 1490

Cava de' Tirreni, Salerno, Campania (Italy)

Title: Madonna dell’Avvocata

Aug 29, 1490

Monte Figogna, Liguria (Italy)

Title: Nostra Signora della Guardia
Visionary:
Benedetto Pareto

According to tradition, on August 29, 1490 the Virgin Mary appeared to a peasant called Benedetto Pareto and asked him to build a chapel on the mountain.

More about this apparition >>

1491

Trois-Epis, Alsace (France)

Title: Our Lady of Trois-Epis
Visionary: Thierry Schoeré, blacksmith

Thierry Schore, a blacksmith of the village of Tannach, going to the market at Niedermorschweier went to a place that reminded him of a fatal accident. The man dismounted, and, kneeling down, began to pray. While he was absorbed in prayer Our Lady appeared wrapped in a white coat and covered with a veil was surrounded by a wonderful light, carrying in his right hand three ears of corn and left a lint ice. Then the Virgin Mary, addressed to the blacksmith, so he said: "My son! The inhabitants of this region have defied the anger of God ice is symbol of the hail, famine, diseases and other punishments. Only if God will forgive sinners shall be converted, and bless their fields. These three ears are a sign of blessing from above. It tells people what they have seen and heard. "Initially, the blacksmith was afraid to tell people this apparition, but then another miracle gave him the impulse to tell her and convince citizens of the serious warning of the Madonna. Many believers took seriously consider the warning of Mary so organized processions and expiatory Church erected a memorial in remembrance of this.

October 10, 1492

Gallivaggio (Italy)

Visionaries: Two peasant families Buzzetti and Gianotti

At first light of two children of the nearby villages of VHO and Lirone, went to Grualle to collect chestnuts. After busy sitting on a rock at a chestnut tree, to rest a little. 'Suddenly find themselves blinded by an unusual glow, which can not be confused with the sunlight, so it's different. A young girl appeared to them, who, growing harmoniously in its proportions, presented then as a woman stately and admirable. She had a veil from head hung down over her shoulders and around her there was Angeli. The beautiful Lady rested her feet on one of the rocks in front of the girls, who remained muted and the heart suspended. The Virgin entrusted to them his message of warning, hope and appeal to a renewed Christian life and authentic, and called for prayer and penance to obtain mercy from God: "Proclaim that if sinners will amend it, if you do not observe better duties holidays, if you do not make works of prayer and penance, the wrath of the Son of God will fall terrible to punish humanity. still say that, according to the custom of my devotees, all is in the process keep Sunday holy, since by vespers on Saturday, in honor of myself and my Son. Only then He will answer my prayers to get you salvation. "Immediately after the Holy Virgin disappeared. the first wooden chapel was built soon after and then replaced by another brick. the Sanctuary was built between 1598 and 1603, and was consecrated January 29, 1615.

Source: latheotokos.it

July 16, 1493

Ottobeuren (GERMANY)

Title:"Our Beloved Lady of the Alders"

The legend of "Our beloved Lady of the alders" tells it: a woman with a incurable disease found, buried in a ontaneto, a portrait of the Blessed Virgin Mary. the She had learned of the existence of the portrait by means of a dream. He prayed devotional fervor before the portrait of the Madonna and healed. The news spread quickly and saw many people with the hope of finding help. The farmer Jodok Mayer built a wooden chapel was built and soon even a church. the distribution of many indulgences between 1492 and 1500 shows how intense was the pilgrimage at that time. In 1803, following the secularization and the prohibition of pilgrimages, the miraculous image was taken to Augusta. the portrait was reported in 1835 in the renovated Benedictine convent and was placed in his original place.

July 16, 1493

Raccogni (Italy)

Title: Madonna of the Graces
Visionary: Antonio Chiavassa

July 17, 1494

Balze di Vergereto (Italy)

Visionaries: Two young sheperdesses

May 23

Rhodes (Greece)

Visionaries: armies

The Knights, led by their Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson, rejected in a large battle (which lasted 23 to 28 May) a terrible attack of the Turks under the command of Sultan Mohammed II. During this battle appeared to Mary, with a spear in right hand and shield in his left, attended to the Christian knights. With this victory, Order was able to stay on the island until at least 1522. Driven out then by Suleiman II, the Christian knights settled in Malta, taking the name of "Knights of Malta."

 

Locarno (Switzerland)

Title: Madonna del Sasso

Father Bartholomew Piatti of Ivrea lived in the Franciscan monastery of Locarno, which was founded personally by St. Anthony of Padua. He felt a deep Marian devotion. One night, while outdoors and Bartholomew prayed fervently to the Virgin, the sky opened and wrapped in a majestic light, Blessed Mary appeared with the Infant Jesus held tenderly in her arms. The monk was in ecstasy until the morning after. When his brother, having seen in that state, wanted to know what happend, he said that Our Lady had appeared from heaven up on the rocks of the mountain. After the religious vision that built a small chapel on the rocks and hermit retired here. This chapel has become a very famous shrine.

 

PENNABILLI (MARCHE)

Weeping Image

A picture of the Virgin Mary, painted in oil on a wall, suddenly began to weep. The incident caused a great sensation. In 1517, in that place was built a church and a portrait of the Mother of God became the object of worship.

 

ALEXOS, CASTILE (SPAIN)

Title: Nuestra Senora de la Casita (Our Lady of the Little House)
Visionaries:
a young girl

She is very devoted to Mary. found a statue of the Virgin near Alexos. Soon after the discovery,the Virgin Mary appeared to her and urged her to build a chapel in that place with a hermitage. The statue bears the name of Nuestra Senora de la Casita.

April 29, 1494

RE (PIEDMONT)

Title: "Madonna of Holy Blood " (Painting)

In 1494, a wall of the church of the village of Kings, in a high mountain, a portrait of Mary was hit by a stone. The front of the Blessed Virgin bled profusely for twenty days. The case was carefully examined by the competent ecclesiastical authorities andfinally they recognized the miraculous aspect. The faithful flocked en masse to the foot of the portrait to pray. The pilgrimage to the "Madonna of Holy Blood" is still active.

More about this miraculous image >>

 

Mary Buchen, Würzburg (Germany)

Title: Madonna of Mercy (bleeding image)

A soldier, who was passing through a forest, saw a wooden portrait of the Madonna of Mercy set at a beech tree. As he was a strong opponent of Christianity, and especially the cult of Mary, he slashed the image. Just when he hit the painting, it began to bleed. The soldier regretted his action and went away - the place became a pilgrimage.

1496

AZAGNA (SPAIN)

Visionary: Joan Nasquez of the Cross (1481 - 1534)

Joan Nasquez of the Cross, born March 3, 1481 to Azagna, from his childhood had visions and apparitions of Mary. At the age of fifteen she entered the Franciscan conventin Cubas, near Madrid, on the advice of Holy Virgin. Later, in this convent, was Abbess. Joan received the gift of Stigmata and died in 1534. She performed many miracles.

July 23, 1496

MONTE ALTINO (Italy)

Visionary: Quinto Foglia and 2 sons

During a heat wave and drought, on July 23, 1496, Quinto Foglia and his two little boys were walking from their home in Vall'Alta to the wooded slopes of Monte Altino, where they worked making charcoal. Stricken with thirst and afraid for his children, Quinto prayed to the Madonna. She appeared and told him to strike a rock with his staff. When he did, a spring surged forth. The next day, people began building a chapel, completed Sept. 5, 1496. In 1865 a statuary group depicting the apparition was installed in the sanctuary. In thanksgiving for her protection during World War I, the Madonna's statue was solemnly crowned on July 23, 1919. The shrine celebrates its festa with an evening procession on July 22 and solemn mass on July 23, anniversary of the apparition and crowning.

Source: www.santuarioaltino.it. / http://www.wherewewalked.info

March 27, 1499

Rome (Italy)

Title: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (miraculous image)
Visionary: a young girl

A merchant stole the picture from its shrine on the island of Crete, miraculously weathered a tumultuous sea voyage, and finally brought it to Rome. There, before he died, he gave it to a Roman friend, begging him to have it placed in a worthy church which the friend neglected to do. Next Our Lady appeared to the little daughter of the family. "Go to your mother and grandfather," She commanded, "and say where the picture should be placed: in the church between the basilica of St. Mary Major and that of St. John Lateran."

In solemn procession, on March 27, 1499, it was carried to that church, the church of St. Matthew the Apostle. The same day a miracle occurred; a man's arm, crippled beyond use, was completely restored.

In June 1798, Napoleon and his army entered Rome and leveled St. Matthew and the picture disappeared. For sixty-four years it remained hidden, almost forgotten, until ... one day at recreation, in the Redemptorist house in Rome, one of the Fathers mentioned having read, in an old tome, that their present church, San Alfonso, was built on the ruins of St. Matthew's, where once was enshrined a miraculous picture: Our Mother of Perpetual Help. The name startled Father Michael Marchi who as a young alttar boy had seen the image at Santa Maria in Posterula. On January 19, 1866, after Pope Pius IX had been told the story, the miraculous picture was brought once more to the site of its former glory, the church between the two basilicas, now that of San Alfonso. Three months later, it was solemnly enshrined and was crowned on June 23, 1867.

Source: www.salvemariaregina.info

1499

Vinski Vrh (Crotia)

Title: Our Lady of Bistrica, Queen of Croatia (miraculous statue)

The statue of late Gothic design is the work of an anonymous artist. The statue was first placed in the ancient shrine in Vinski Vrh in 1499. When the Turks advanced on the town, the frightened villagers buried the statue in Marija Bistrica for safekeeping. In 1588 it was rediscovered and given a place of honor. After a short time, it was then walled into the church and discovered for the second time in 1685. The statue is the beloved symbol of the Croation people and is revered as Queen of Croatia. She is considered a Black Madonna, and in 1923 the church was designated a minor basilica. It was also during this year that the Archbishop of Zagreb placed golden crowns upon the heads of the Madonna & Child. The Shrine of Our Lady of Bistrica honored on October 3, 1998, when Pope John Paul II visited the Shrine.

Source: http://www.svetiste-mbb.hr


 
   
facebooktwitterrssyoutube Contact The Miracle Hunter
APPARITIONS VISIONARIES

MESSAGES

DISCERNMENT

DISCLAIMER CONTACT
© Copyright 2012, MiracleHunter.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy > Legal >

MiracleHunter.com is the best resource for Marian Apparitions on the web. The site includes approval lists, visionary biographies, detailed apparition summaries, messages, official Church statements and a photo gallery.